Monday, May 12, 2008

Advertising Strategies

Remember your first job? I can recall mine like it was yesterday. A close friend back in high school had asked me to come assist him at the opening of his father's new restaurant. It was a Chinese take-out and delivery joint. No problem! I was all too happy to lend my buddy a hand. However, upon my arrival, I was greeted by his less than calm father. He nudged me over to a chair and told me "Wait! Many deliveries might come. You deliver." I was dumbfounded. No way! All the sudden I'm the delivery guy? I thought I was just coming by to help move some heavy kitchen supplies or help hang a sign. I never planned on delivering food. Anyway, that's how it all began. Before I knew it, I was racing around town with orders of Chinese food and helping my buddy come up with advertising strategies to increase business.

Do you want to hear the best of the several advertising strategies I came up with? Okay, so maybe I didn't exactly invent the concept, but I did do a great deal of leg work. This is how it goes. You design flyers for the business. On our flyers we advertised the Chinese restaurant, where it was located, the hours of operation, and then several meal specials. This is what advertising strategies are all about. KNOWLEDGE! People need to know what's up if you plan to acquire their business. And then you take it to the next step. This is where I put in all the footwork. You drive all over town, hitting up every neighborhood and apartment complex, and hang or post the flyers on doors. This way when the resident returns home, it's the first thing they'll see. They'll snag it and take a look. The rest is up to them. In our case, if they loved Chinese food, they'd call. And a lot of people did. Now remember, the specials were the KEY ingredient. Everyone wants a deal. Who has the best one? We're all always searching for this.

When it comes to advertising strategies, there are plenty to test and play around with. You can get an idea from the ads you watch daily on television. There are infinite advertising strategies at work in those. Some stick out as awesome and creative, and others make you go HUH? Basically, there is no limit to the advertising game. What do you have up your sleeve?